Sunday, September 16, 2012

IBS my foot!

NOTE: I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR DO I CLAIM TO BE- ALWAYS ASK YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING HAIR BRAINED IDEAS YOU READ ABOUT ON THE INTERNET:   :-) HAHA!


I have struggled with my lower digestive system for a long time.  Back in college I had to have a colonoscopy because I went 10 days without "going".  I know - gross, but I am giving you a background history here.  In the interim years, I would have attacks that would cause pain- bloating, constipation....etc.  Well, for the past year, I have been fighting constant constipation and not much helps (I've tried a lot of things, believe me).  I had another colonoscopy done (normal results)- no celiac found, and I don't think I have a problem with lactose.  The doctors just called it IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndorme) and sent me on my way.

I saw a post on pinterest about lemon and cucumber water being a "natural detox".  I didn't really think that would do much so I ignored it.  Then a friend of mine had it for her guests at a birthday party and I loved how it tasted.  So, a couple of weeks later I made it for our company who was visiting out of town for the weekend.  I mentioned to our guests that it was supposedly a detox and I rolled my eyes to show my disbelief.

Well, the next morning one of my visitors said, "Holy Cow, you were right!"  Hmmm!  So wouldn't you know, it is.  For the past week, I've been drinking about 2 glasses a day and I feel wonderful.  Seriously- I feel great.  No more gas pain, bloating and everything else that goes along with it.  FYI- I also have been found to have Esophagitis and Gastritis so I am sure that played into some of the discomfort.

So how do you make lemon/cucmber water?  Take a gallon of water and add a half of a cumber (diced) and a whole lemon (diced).   Wash the the lemons and cucumbers first! And leave the rinds on.  I only drink two large glasses per day so The gallon lasts a couple of days- but the lemon slices and cucmber last 3 days in the fridge- so just refill the pitcher when it's low.  But, after 3 days, throw away the cucumber & lemon.

I am not sure if I am helping my gastritis or hurting because there is acid in lemons- I guess that remains to be seen. But, I had to find a solution to the uncomfortable state I was in.

I'll update you if there are changes, but it's been a week of feeling like a normal person again!

BTW- If you suffer from diarrhea- this will probably NOT help you!   here's a link to a site that give a recipe

1 comment:

  1. HEY if anyone tried this and it helps them, please let me know. I'd love to know that it helped you too!

    ReplyDelete